2.05.2005

The Joy of Teaching

We read a story in my class about a family that moved to America from China. In it, the young girl is repeatedly embarrassed by the actions of her family members. The worst is when her parents insist on slurping their soup in an elegant restaurant. After we read and discussed the story, I gave my students a simple assignment. Write about a time when you were embarrassed by a family member. If you don't finish it in class, you must finish it at home. That was yesterday.
This morning, I asked my students to get their stories out and let me read them and grade them as they worked on a short assignment at their desks. Most of the stories were the same, "My mama smacked me in the yard and my friends saw it and laughed at me." However, sweet young Harryson rose to the challenge to be original. Here's a snapshot of what he wrote:
"My most embirising moment was when see my dad came to the classroom to talk to my teacher and started jacking off at her desk and she said oh baby, harder harder harder faster faster faster yes baby."
My jaw dropped. Harryson, no you didn't. I snatched up his journal, made a quick call to Mr. D, the vice principal, and said, "Hi Mr. D, this is Kate. I'm sending Harryson up to the office with something simply precious that he wrote. I think he's going to need some in-school suspension for this one."
Thankfully, I have never met Harryson's father. Just his uncle, whose drool I practically had to wipe off of my desk after he came to translate for Harryson's mom one day when she came in for a conference.
Later today, in the lounge, Mr. D pontificated about inviting Harryson's mother to the school again so that her son could read his essay aloud to her. Not a bad idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home