2.01.2005

Grandma

I don't know if you all know this, but she is a little loony now. She doesn't go out of the house, she says about 10 words a day, and we had to hire a girl to bathe and dress her 4 days a week. Well, about a year ago, I bought her a book called "Grandma, Tell Me Your Memories." Well, I didn't expect her to write in it, but I figured that when I came to visit her we could fill it out together with lots of prodding. A couple of weeks ago, I found the book on my bed. I figured her husband had just dumped it there to prompt me to put it away. When I picked it up, it fell open to a page. With her writing on it! She's filled in about half the book and never mentioned it to anyone. She just sits in her chair all day, not doing much at all, so I was astounded.

Here are some of her memories: She was born at Buckingham, Florida, USA
Her brothers were named Ormond, Horace (which she called Orazio one day), Loyl, William, and she had one sister named Juanita. All of her mother's children were name by Bessie, her deaf-mute sister.

Grandma's nickname as a child was "Larryno" instead of Lorna

Her father was a farmer and a policeman.

Her grandma came to visit her in Sale City, Georgia when she was a little girl. When Grandma entered the room, her Grandma said, "Well, isn't she pretty?" (I remember Grandma saying this to me when I was little.)

She never had an imaginary friend.

Grandma used to get swatted with a peachtree switch, when she was sent outside to pick herself. Her favorite meal as a child was grits and peanut butter.

"We used to meet at my Uncle Tom's house for Thanksgiving and all the family sang around the piano after dinner."

Tell about a school principal you remember: "I remember being in high school when the King of England announced his 'withdrawal'. The principal called 4 or 5 of us into the library and we heard it on the radio."

Grandma was Salutatorian of her high school . She had to give a speech at graduation!

She hitchhiked to Toledo, Ohio when she was in the Woman's Army Force withe her girl friend "Petunia."

She had ot to rake the pecan leaves from the yard and she had to wash the lunch dishes when she got home from school with her sister, Juanita.

I love my Grandma, even if she is a big pain in the butt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home